The New Jersey Midland Railroad Historical Society, Inc. is dedicated to the preservation of the history of the railroads that have operated in New Jersey, with special emphasis on the New Jersey Midland; its successor New York, Susquehanna & Western; and other lines connected or affiliated including Wilkes Barre & Eastern; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Middletown & New Jersey; New York & Greenwood Lake; Erie; Lackawanna; and Wharton & Northern.
The Railroadians of America, founded
in 1939, were one of the oldest railroad historical organizations in the
country, dedicated to gathering, preserving, writing and publishing railroad
history. The Railroadians of America were merged into
the New Jersey Midland Railroad Historical Society on
You can find out more about the Society and New Jersey Railroads by viewing the following topics:
· Midlander Trainsheet is where you'll find all currently available issues of the Society's publication.
· Book Store is where you can find our line of high quality railroad books. We are an Advantage partner with Amazon.com which allows you to order our books directly on line and have them shipped to you in less than 24 hours!
· Society Events will list all current activities that the Society is involved in, such as our right of way hikes and meetings.
· Members is the member information page. We will try to post whenever there is a mailing so you can verify you have received all membership publications.
· History provides a brief history of the railroads our organization takes a special interest in.
· Maps are one of the best ways to get an idea of where a railroad fits in with its surroundings. These maps will be updated as better ones come available.
· Yahoo! Groups This site will allow you to post questions and share information on topics relating to the history of the railroads we cover.
· Hoboken Shore Railroad was a unique New Jersey Hudson River waterfront operation. We are dedicated to preserving the history of this line. View some motive power, a WWI troop train arrival, and link to our affiliated Hoboken Shore site.
· Allamuchy Freight House The Society is assisting Allamuchy Township, NJ in preserving the Lehigh & Hudson River freight house and rebuilding the passenger station. Photos of the restoration updated through April 2009. The freight house is now listed on the state and national list of historic places.
· Erie Lackawanna Dining Car The Society is proud to be an advisor to the Erie Lackawannna Dining Car Preservation Society. Follow the link to learn how you can help restore former EL dining car 741 and Lackawanna dining car 469 and help recreate "dinner in the diner"!
· Links connects to a select list of sites we think you will find interesting.
A note about employee records:
The Society does not have any ex-railroad personnel records in it's archives. Those records are most likely lost. It is recommended that you contact the U.S. Railroad Retirement Board, which you can contact at: 844 North Rush Street Chicago, IL 60611 (312) 751-4500.
They also have a Web page at The U.S. Railroad Retirement Board
Membership in the Society is open to all and we encourage you to join. Membership includes four issue of our magazine, the Midlander Trainsheet, discounts on Society books and merchandise, and our annual meeting (usually held in November) that features presentations on the railroads we cover.
The annual dues are $20. To join the NJMRHS send your check or money order to:
New Jersey Midland Railroad Historical Society, Inc.
P.O. Box 6125
Parsippany, N.J. 07054
For specific historical questions please e-mail:
We are always looking for photos, articles, and artifacts for the railroads of New Jersey. If you have anything you would like to contribute, drop us an e-mail!
This page last 1/18/2013
Page design by New Jersey Midland Railroad Historical Society, Inc.
Contents of this page are protected by Copyright - click HERE for fair use details.